Sunday, July 3, 2011

Preah Vihear is not Hindu temple, but K-H-M-E-R

Why not declare Preah Vihear Hindu territory?

July 3, 2011
Letter to The Nation


There is a solution to the Thai-Cambodian conflict over the Phra Viharn/Preah Vihear temple that is so simple I am surprised nobody but me has thought of it.

I understand it, this is a Hindu temple. To me it is very weird for Buddhists to be fighting over a Hindu temple. Especially since Buddhists aren't supposed to fight at all. [KI-Media Note: The author of this ludicrous letter should learn more about Cambodia, Preah Vihear temple is not Hindu, but Khmer. It was built by Khmer ancestors before Siam even existed on the earth.]

If it's a Hindu temple, the Hindus should be running it. The Thais and Cambodians should ask the Indian government to send over some qualified Hindu priests to take charge of it. The temple and the disputed territory that surrounds it could be turned into an independent country - a theocratic mini-state, like Vatican City. They could call it Viharnia (in Thai), or Vihearnia (in Cambodian). The priests would administer it, and charge admission to the tourists.

To compensate the Thai and Cambodian governments for their loss of sovereignty, Viharnia would give them a percentage of its tourism income. Part of the revenue derived from tourists who drive in from the Thai side would go to Thailand. Part of the revenue derived from those adventurous tourists who climb up the cliff from the Cambodian side would go to Cambodia.


I understand that Phra Viharn is a temple dedicated to the Hindu god Shiva. While I personally am a Presbyterian, I am under the impression that both the Hindus and the Buddhists revere Shiva. If I believed in Shiva and gave the matter a little thought, I should think that Shiva would be very angry that his temple has fallen into such disrepair and that the Thais and Cambodians are quarrelling over it. He might strike them down with his thunderbolt or something.

So the priests of Viharnia should rebuild the temple, restore it to its former glory, re-consecrate it from the years of quarrelling, and regularly perform whatever ceremonies and rituals Shiva requires. He would then be pleased and would bless both countries. That is what I would think if I believed in Shiva.

I call this solution the Beasley Plan, and I recommend it to both countries. But I am sure they will both reject it. This is because, deep down, they don't really believe in religion of any kind. All they want is money, and the only thing they believe in is an infantile nationalism. If they want to prove me wrong, let them adopt my plan.

0 comments:

Blog Archive